Friday, January 13, 2012

General Tso's Tempeh



Tonight I tried a recipe from another blogger that I loved! The recipe is called General Tso's Tempeh. My whole family ate and liked this recipe. Now, it was a lot of work, but it was worth it! It's not something I'll make on a busy night. I changed it up just a little. I steamed the tempeh for 20 minutes ahead of time. I have found steaming the tempeh first cuts that bitter taste. Because of that, I cut the amount of water I cooked the tempeh in. I think I put in less than half, but then I added a little bit when it got dry. I used chili sauce instead of Sriracha, Bragg Liquid Aminos instead of soy sauce, arrowroot instead of corn starch, and I didn't add the sherry. I quadrupled the recipe. Well, technically, I quadrupled the amount of tempeh and sauce. I also added in a bunch of steamed broccoli and chopped up a bunch of green onions. I made fried rice to go with it. I steamed brown rice, then heated up my skillet and put a small amount of oil in it. I threw in some frozen mixed veggies and let them cook for a bit. I put the rice in and put some Bragg in with it. I cooked that until it was a little crispy. I served the tempeh over the rice, and it was fantastic! I also made the ambrosia salad from the 21-Day Vegan Kickstart meal plan that I made a few days ago. That is just really delicious.

The rest of the day's food included:
Breakfast: cornflakes with soymilk
Lunch: Country Beans with quinoa, lettuce, salsa, nooch, and corn tortillas
Snack: Clif Builder Bar

No comments: