Friday, May 23, 2008

Flourless Chocolate Cake


One thing I have really missed since going gluten free is baking. I used to make everything from scratch, and now I have to completely relearn how to bake. I love this flourless chocolate cake. It is fabulous. It's moist and chocolaty and oh so yummy. Here's the recipe:
1 can of black beans, drained (the original recipe says you can use chickpeas, but I haven't tried that yet)
1/4 cup orange juice
4 eggs
3 ounces chocolate, melted (the original recipes says two ounces, but how could more chocolate be bad? Also, it says to use bittersweet, but I like it with bittersweet or milk chocolate.)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
powdered sugar, for garnish

Put beans and oj in food processor and process until smooth. Add eggs, pulsing after each one. Then add chocolate and pulse again. Add dry ingredients and pulse until just blended. Put in a prepared 8-inch round cake pan and bake at 350 for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool 15 minutes before taking out of pan. Dust with powdered sugar.

1 comment:

Suzy said...

Hi there! Your post in the glutenfree tribe tempted me to try this recipe. At the time I had no GF baking experience whatsoever, exept for a few whacky undigestable breadfailures. The cake recipe worked out fine ofcourse ;-)but it did more: it restored my courage and thought me I SHOULD keep trying, only with better recipes lol
Thanks ever so much! Suzy