Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Summer Rolls and Gluten Free Pantry Brownies

Tonight's dinner was awesome! I love summer rolls although they are a little time consuming to make. They're worth it though. The whole family loves them. They're made with rice wrappers, and they are super healthy. I serve them with a mildly spicy peanut sauce. Here's how to make them:

First, get all your ingredients together. I cook up my own tofu. Most of the packaged baked tofu has some sort of gluten in it. It's healthier to make my own anyway. I drain and press the tofu then chop it up in strips. Cook it in olive oil and Bragg liquid aminos. Tonight we also had cucumber, carrot, red pepper, avocado, and mango. I also had lettuce leaves.

Soak the rice papers one at a time in a bowl of hot water. I put one in, and when it's softened take it out and put in a new one. When I take one out, I gently shake it to get the water off. The wetter they are, they less sticky they are. They need to be at least partly sticky to be able to wrap them.

Lay the soaked rice paper on a plate. Lay down a lettuce leaf and pile on what you want for the filling. Other ideas for filling are zucchini, green peppers, papaya, chopped peanuts, sprouts, etc.

After you've put all the filling in, wrap it up in the lettuce leaf, and then do a burrito wrap with the rice paper.

Here's our dinner: summer rolls, peanut sauce, and salad. It was yummy. For the peanut sauce I usually put peanut butter, warm water (I usually have to warm that together to get it to mix easier), lime juice, garlic powder, Bragg Liquid Aminos, and cayenne.

For desert, Trey and Beth Ann made Gluten Free Pantry Chocolate Truffle Brownie Mix. These are relatively easy to make. You just add eggs and margarine. They're definitely pretty gooey in the middle, but I prefer that to cakey brownies anyway. Cakey ones are icky! These are really tasty.


No comments: