Thursday, March 19, 2009

Green beans with tomatoes


A friend of mine who is expecting a baby the same time as me, posted a link to a recipe for tomatoes and green beans. It sounded good, and I had some fresh green beans, so I decided to make my own version of it! Here's the original version Aunt Kate's Green Beans in Tomatoes. My kids LOVED this dish and came back for seconds, so I'll definitely be making this one again! Here's my version:
Green Beans with Tomatoes
2 lbs green beans
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp minced onions
black pepper to taste
Mix the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and herbs in a large pot. Put the green beans in with the tomatoes and cook on medium high heat until the green beans are crisp tender.

I also made a version of honey baked lentils that was really great, but I need to tweak it a little. I'll post it later. I also tried a recipe for chipotle mashed sweet potatoes. Trey really liked that one, but unfortunately, no one else did, so that one got scratched!

Every St. Patrick's Day, I make Irish Bean Stew! Normally, I make a meal full of green/Irish stuff. This year, I was just too tired, but at least we had a really healthy meal! With the Stew, I steamed broccoli and cut up tomatoes and sweet peppers. With that we had carrots and made a cashew/pimiento "cheese." It was really delicious.


Last but not least - Livi's bentos for this week! She loves her bento boxes and loves taking pictures with them! This one has grapes, a boiled egg, Cajun jerky, soy cheese, snap pea crisps, gf pretzels, strawberries, and gf Pamela's cookies.

This one has gf pretzels, strawberries, grapes, a Pamela's cookie, a veggie dog, carrots, and soy cheese.

1 comment:

veganf said...

Just have to say that Livi has really beautiful eyes! I'd never seen a closeup, but what a pretty color.