Thursday, June 5, 2008

Tofu Satay with peanut sauce

Tonight's dinner included a bok choy stir fry, spicy grilled eggplant, and tofu satay with a peanut sauce. The stir fry was a recipe from Vegetarian Times. I have tried many, many recipes from that magazine, and I have only thought one was disgusting, so I'd say that's a pretty good track record. However, we weren't all that impressed with tonight's stir fry. It was okay, but it wasn't worth the effort. I tossed that recipe in the trash. The peanut sauce was a new recipe. It was good, but it was very tangy. I think if I made it again, I'd add less vinegar and more cayenne. The recipe called for 3 tbsp peanut butter, but we doubled that. The recipe was for a dressing, so that's why it was so runny. We served it with tofu satay that is a favorite in our house. I drain and pressed the tofu, and then cut it in squares, then put it in the marinade. After I put it on a baking sheet, I cook it at 450 for 15 minutes, then flip them over and cook them another 10 minutes. The spicy grilled eggplant was a recipe from the internet although we changed it up a bit. It was pretty good, but it still needs some work. The tofu satay marinade is super easy. It consists of:
2 tbsp Bragg Liquid Aminos
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp mirin

The Asian sauce is:
6 tbsp peanut butter
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1 tsp minced ginger root
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/2 C peanuts, chopped
Whisk together first six ingredients until creamy, mix in peanuts. Serve.

This morning we had one of our favorite breakfasts. It's super healthy and versatile, too. We mix a container of Whole Soy yogurt (I prefer to use the vanilla flavor), with some chopped almonds, and fruit. This morning we had blueberries, strawberries, and grapes. You can vary the fruit, but the grapes are especially good. They add a sweet crunch that is very yummy. Here's two pictures of it. The first is before I mixed it up, and the second is after.

No comments: