Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Foodie Nerdvana

Okay, I'm a total foodie nerd. My idea of an awesome hour is to go to the Asian market by myself and shop! That's what I did tonight. It was great. We have a great Asian market at the edge of our neighborhood. It's so close I could walk to it. They have fabulous looking vegetables. I went there specifically to get sushi rice. The last package I got said "sushi rice." This time they didn't have any. I got a bag of what I thought was sushi rice, but I had to ask the woman at the check out. She confirmed for me that yes, it was indeed sushi rice. *silly white girl* I also had to buy some wasabi. I looked at the ingredients of the one I'd been using and it had a milk product in it! Darn. I found some without it, but they had several artificial colors or other things in it that I wouldn't want to buy. I finally found a powdered wasabi that only had horseradish, turmeric, and spirulina. We have a winner! I thought it would be fun to take a picture of it all, so you could see what $84 will get you at the Midopa Market (or M Mart).

This rice cooker/steamer is one of my favorite kitchen gadgets! I use it all the time. It makes perfect rice! My parents bought me my first one, and I wore that one out. I loved it so much though I went out and bought the new version of the exact same thing!

Tonight's dinner was steamed new carrots and new potatoes with a wasabi mustard sauce, steamed rice with peas, leftover tofu, and sea vegetable, Japanese peppers, Mixed green/herb salad with an Asian viniagrette.

No comments: