Sunday, March 15, 2009

Tempeh Hot Wings


First let me say - these are absolutely, positively, freaking fantastic!!! I loved them! I will make them often! I got the original recipe off this site: Don't Eat Off the Sidewalk. I changed the recipe to make it gluten free and to my liking! :-) I bought the tempeh at the Aurora Vitamin Cottage, and unfortunately they only sold one kind of tempeh. So, they were pretty thick. Next time I'll just have to bite the bullet and drive to Whole Paycheck - uh, Foods - to get the long, thin kind. I think they'd be way better with the thinner tempeh. I didn't think about getting a picture of just the hot wings until they were almost gone, and my picture is weirdly orange. You can get the idea though. Dinner was so fabulous tonight!

Here's the recipe for the tempeh hot wings:
2 pkgs of tempeh
1/2 C amaranth flour
1 tsp salt
4 tsp thyme
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1/3 C soymilk
8 tbsp margarine
4 tbsp hot sauce (I used Tapatio)
8 tbsp ketchup
3 tbsp agave nectar

Cut the tempeh into fairly small triangles. Boil water. When the water is boiling, put the tempeh in and let it boil for 15 minutes. Drain and cool enough to handle. Mix amaranth flour, salt, thyme, paprika, pepper, and garlic powder. Have a bowl with the soymilk and a bowl with the flour mixture ready. Dip each tempeh piece in the milk and then coat with the flour mixture. Put them on a greased baking sheet and spray the top with olive oil spray. Cook in a 400 oven for ten minutes - flip and then cook for ten minutes more. While the tempeh is cooking, prepare the sauce. Melt the margarine in a saucepan and then add the hot sauce, ketchup and agave. Keep the sauce hot. When the wings finish cooking, put in a bowl and coat well with the sauce.

I would have liked to have had the wings a little hotter, but Trey and Beth thought they were just fine! Next time I'm going to have to make two batches - one a little less spicy for Ray. He liked them, but the poor kid went through about 8 glasses of water! :-) The rest of dinner consisted of basmati rice with sumac, roasted asparagus with lemon, roasted potatoes with lemon/garlic seasoning and chile powder, sauteed mushrooms and sweet peppers, and a green salad. Aaahhh - it was yummy!

1 comment:

mom said...

Hey you are really into cooking and it all looks so good to! How do you find time to cook such good meals, take pictures of it and eat also? You are something else girl! Were do you get all the engery and time to try all the new recipe's? Keep it up you are doing such a great job If I lived by you I could sure learn a thing or two!