Saturday, June 7, 2008

Vegetarian Sushi

Tonight we had one of my favorite meals - vegetarian sushi. The kids all love it, too. They each helped make their own roll. Apparently next time I'm going to have to make an extra batch because we finished it, and my son was looking for more! I made mine with sushi rice, nori, black sesame seeds, wasabi, carrots, cucumber, avocado, and red pepper. The new wasabi that I got is very sharp! I added some to my Bragg Liquid Aminos for dipping, and I think I might leave that off next time. It had quite a bite. Here's how we made them. First, get all the ingredients together.

Lay out a sheet of nori, spread out the rice on 2/3 of the nori, and spread a line of wasabi on the rice.

Sprinkle the sesame seeds on the rice and then pile the chopped vegetables in the middle.

Wet the nori that doesn't have rice on it, and then roll up the sushi.

Slice the sushi roll and serve!

I made a broccoli stir fry with an orange chile sauce that I got from another blog. Here is my version which is slightly different:
Zest from one large navel orange
Juice from two large navel oranges
2 tbsp Bragg Liquid Aminos
1 1/2 tsp chile paste
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp arrowroot powder
Mix together and pour over stir fry during last few minutes of cooking.

Here's our dinner - yum!

No comments: