Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Spinach/citrus salad


Tonight I made two new recipes. The first was an asparagus and lentil dish that was okay. It needs some work though. I am going to play with the recipe and see if I can get something we like better. The asparagus was super yummy though. I broiled it in the oven with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and then sprinkled lemon juice on top of it. It was fabulous!


The salad was a variation on one that I've made before, but the dressing was brand new. My mom told me about it a while back. It was a big hit with everyone. Even my oldest son, who has decided for the time being that he doesn't like salads, nibbled on his. The salad consisted of spinach, romaine, sliced red onion, mandarin oranges, and sliced almonds. I usually have walnuts in my spinach salad. I liked it with the almonds. I'm going to have those more often. The recipe my mom gave me for the dressing called for apple cider vinegar which I was sure I had until I opened my cabinet and found red wine vinegar. Oops. I used that instead though, and it was really good. Here's my version of the citrus dressing:
1/4 C grapeseed oil
1/4 C orange juice
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp agave nectar
Shake well!

No comments: