Thursday, April 9, 2009

Skillet Cornbread

Here's a recipe that speaks to my Southern heart! Tonight I made skillet cornbread, and it was so yummy! Everyone loved it - especially smeared with the local honey we had. We had "breakfast beans" (that's a recipe I'm going to talk about another time), fried potatoes, fresh tomatoes, and skillet cornbread. I used this recipe, and I will definitely be making it again. I added a teaspoon of chipotle chile powder which gave it a small kick! I think it would be good with fresh corn kernels, sauteed jalapeno, green chiles, or even chopped chipotles. I'm sure we'll be experimenting! Jalapeno jelly would be great, too, although the honey was divine with it! This is a terrible picture, but I forgot to get a picture BEFORE we started eating! The cornbread was cooked in my cast iron skillet. Have I ever mentioned how much I love that thing? It's awesome!

Here's how I made it:
2 cups soymilk
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 3/4 cups corn flour
2 eggs
2 tbsp olive oil (plus extra for coating the pan)
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp chipotle chile powder
Preheat oven to 425, and put the cast iron skillet in there to heat up. Mix the milk and vinegar and let the milk curdle. Mix everything together. Put oil in the hot skillet, then pour in the mixture. Cook for 20 minutes (or under toothpick comes out clean and top is nicely browned).

No comments: