Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Vegan, gluten free mac and cheese


Our dinner tonight was fabulous! We have finally figured out a gluten-free, vegan "mac and cheese." We bought Mrs. Leeper's gluten-free animal pasta, and then added a cashew "cheese" sauce. I got the base recipe from a fellow veggie blogger. Here's my version:
3 C raw cashews (rinse well)
1 1/4 C water
1/3 C lemon juice
2 tsp sea salt
1/2 C nutritional yeast
7 cloves of garlic
1 jar (4 oz) pimientos
Blend in high powered blender until smooth.
Mix the sauce in with the pasta. We put Rawmesan on top of it. We had steamed broccoli and green salad with it. The kids wanted us to have a "restaurant" tonight, so they served us, set the table, helped make the food, and even made us an appetizer. Beth Ann made the appetizer. I'm not sure how she came up with this, but she heats up two corn tortillas, spreads some vegan mayo, BBQ sauce, Tapatio, and Cholula on it.

She made a tortilla for Louis with vegan mayo on it. He loves it!

One of our servers!

I also made another yummy vinaigrette for lunch today.
1 tsp flax oil
3 tsp olive oil
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp fig vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 tsp thyme
Shake and serve.

2 comments:

Chessa said...

Yum! I'm going to have to try this version of the cashew cheese. I haven't had it in a while, and I miss it! :D

Misty said...

Thanks for the idea! My kids loved it.