Sunday, June 8, 2008

City O' City



Where do I start? This place is freaking awesome!!! There used to be a vegetarian restaurant in downtown Denver near the capitol building called The Watercourse. We've been going there since the summer of 1998. We drove downtown to the People's Fair today, and...IT WAS GONE!!!!! The horror - I was devastated. After we parked, I made us walk by just so I could make sure that it was actually *gasp* GONE! Sure enough, there was a new restaurant in its place called City O' City. I was on the street lamenting the unfairness of life, when a lady - my favorite new absolute stranger - told me that The Watercourse had only moved, and this new place was owned by the same people! Cool. Of course, we had to go in and see what they served.


It was basically a pizzeria. They had salads, hummus and flatbread, and some other things. I was bummed because it didn't look like they had hardly anything that was gluten free. The guy at the front then informed me that all of their pizzas can be made gluten free! GLUTEN FREE!!! We found a place we could get vegan, gluten-free pizza. How freaking cool is that?

The atmosphere at City, O' City is very similar to The Watercourse - very Bohemian, which I, of course, love!

First, we ordered the hummus with gluten free flat bread. In retrospect, we could have been happy with just the pizza, but I was just so darn excited to be able to order practically anything off the menu that we went overboard! LOL. The hummus was great, and the flatbread was pretty good, too.

Next came the pizza! It was fabulous. The six of us couldn't agree, so we ordered a small "cheese" pizza for Livi and Ray and a large pizza with tempeh bacon, caramelized onions, and sun-dried tomatoes. The "cheese" was a cashew ricotta. The pizza smelled fabulous, and it tasted even better. I was in heaven! Imagine - a place where you can buy vegan, gluten free pizza?!?! I'm still tripping about it.




To top off the coolness, they have vegan, gluten-free desserts! I have no idea if they're any good because we were too stuffed to try any. We're going to go back soon though and try them. This restaurant is AWESOME, and I highly recommend it!

1 comment:

veganf said...

Lucky you to have such a place!!