So, my hubby was going to help me get recent pictures off my phone (long story - phone issues) tonight, so that I could finally update my blog, but he got all grouchy about it. *grump* I guess that'll have to wait until tomorrow! So, I swiped this from Veganza for fun!
1. Favourite non-dairy milk?
Homemade cashew milk is the best.
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
Well, the TOP 3 changes all the time, but the upcoming 3 are: 1) avocado wasabi salad, 2) pressure cooker Ethiopian stew (although I have no pressure cooker, so I'll have to improvise! I've been looking for a reason to make injera again though.), 3) Cuban-style black beans from Vegan Planet.
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
Nutritional yeast for sure
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
A gazpacho that was WAY too green peppery. I was 17 or 18 and learning to experiment in the kitchen and try new recipes. God bless my parents who ate everything I made EXCEPT the gazpacho. It was pretty bad.
5. Favourite pickled item?
Cucumbers. Boring - I know, but still yummy!
6. How do you organise your recipes?
The recipes I have on cards go in a file under the general categories.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
Compost! We built our own awesome, huge compost pile. We just emptied one side two weeks ago and puts lots of lovely compost in our garden!
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
1) tofu, 2) peanut butter, 3) tomatoes
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
Mom's homemade beans with cornbread. Yum.
10. Favourite vegan ice cream?
The best is vanilla Tofutti - hands down. Not the healthiest - but still the most delish.
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
My Blend-Tec blender. Although my cast iron skillets come in a close second.
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
Fresh basil. The smell is intoxicating and the taste is out of this world!
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
The New Farm Cookbook - it has masking tape holding it together!
14. Favourite flavour of jam/jelly?
15. Favourite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
Thai peanut pasta
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
I can't eat seitan (and please don't call it say-TAN - it just sounds stupid, really stupid.) because it's gluten. Tempeh (and no, it's not tem-PAY) is good, but it takes a lot of prep for it to be good, so it's labor intensive! Tofu is just yummy and versatile.
17. Favourite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
One favorite meal? Gosh.... I like making oat balls or oat sausage balls.
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
Bento stuff and the snack box.
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
Blueberries, orange juice, kale burgers
20. What’s on your grocery list?
hummus - yes, I know I should make my own, but I don't often.
21. Favourite grocery store?
Well, I love Whole Foods because it just has so many cool things, and I love all the fruits/veggies. I also love Costco because I can buy organic fruits/veggies in bulk! What can I say? I have five kids.
22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
I'd love to make a vegan (or at least dairy free) version of cottage cheese loaf - although since the main ingredient is cottage cheese, I don't know that it is possible!
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa’s because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
Yikes! Lately I haven't been checking the blogs because I've been so busy. I love Vegan Dad, Vegan Yum Yum, and The Spunky Coconut though.
24. Favourite vegan candy/chocolate?
I don't know the name of it, but Vitamin Cottage sells these coconut bars covered in dark chocolate that are supper yummy!
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
A bottle of Acai juice. It felt extravagant.
26. Ingredients you are scared to work with?
Scared? Ha! I laugh in the face of.... uh, unusual ingredients. I just bought some fufu flour to try. That's one of my favorite things about cooking, to grab something unusual just to give it a try!