Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Green smoothie love and recipe fail!

Who says kids won't drink green smoothies? My kids love them. They get the best "green" moustaches as you can see. My 7 year old daughter asked me, "How come you don't get a moustache?" Hee hee. Then she proceeded to tell me they were fun! Apparently, I'm just not doing it right. :-)


I've recently started back to school full time which has been super challenging when trying to cook scratch, gf/df healthy meals for 7. I've started relying on my old favorite Vegetarian Times. VT is pretty reliable with their recipes. I saw a magazine on the stand at the HFS that they put out called Quick & Healthy 30-minute Meals. I bought it because that is exactly what I need right now. The first recipe I tried out of it was called Southwestern Salad with Avocado-Lime Dressing. The picture in the magazine is pretty because it did not have the dressing on it! I am sad to say that this is one of the very few recipes from VT that I have tried that was AWFUL. I did switch out the sour cream with a pine nut sour cream substitute to make it vegan. However, the dressing was just kind of gross. I ate it, but I think that is mainly because I felt guilty wasting so much food. The kids wouldn't even eat it. I am very disappointed, but given VT's excellent track record, I will definitely try more recipes out of the magazine.

No comments: